Published on Thursday, 06 October 2011 14:28
Written by Timothy B. Roberts, National Level NPC MP Competitor
Thru my experiences competing, I have realized how important it is to be ready for anything. Realizing that half the win is in the prep, I wanted to put a checklist together for those of you who are still having some difficulty getting this very important aspect of “Show Day” down pat!
Here is the list of items I believe to be key to success!
- Your Food – Brining your diet can really make or break your chances. A well-fed competitor will look more full on stage and feel more confident.
- Bottled Water – Yes, I know I know, NO water on “Show Day”. This is merely a safety precaution that is smart to take. Dehydration can set in with just a 1% change in your body’s amount of water. Feel faint? See! Thank me later!
- Pre Workout Type Supp – This is going to be important to have when they come back to the “Pump Room” saying that your division is next up. I usually try to take a pre that has a few carbs. Amino Energy from Optimum Nutrition has never done me wrong. I also try to take my pre with the minimal amount of water. Mixing with 2-4oz of water will surely do the trick.
- Shaker – This is almost a given. Will be used for your pre and possibly post show recovery shake
- Towels – I bring usually 2-3 really old towels. The tanning product we use is not very friendly to most cloth, so you will want to have towels you can easily dispose of after show. Use these to dab dripping or where you have a build up of excess tanner
- Pump Up Bands – These are always great to have when the “Pump Room” at your show is not best. Simple quick movements with these will give you a great swell before hand.
- Tan – You’re always going to want to bring extra tanner for those random situations where you may rub up against something. And touch up is a must for Finals. If you have paid for the show tanning, just make sure to be aware of where to be when you need it done.
- Trunks – These will be the only real necessity. Without these you might as well go take a seat in the crowd.
- Baggy Clothes – During intermission, you will not want to wear your trunks the entire time. In the USA’s, I had trunks that had a white top border on them, making it very important to have a change of clothes. They need to be “baggy” to minimize the cloth rubbing against your tan.
- Honey – Depending on how I feel, this may be the only pre workout I will need. I in addition put small amounts on my Rice Cakes
- Chocolate – Before the nightly Finals, I do like to eat a few squares of 90% Organic Chocolate. It helps relax my face and prepares it for more non-stop smiling.
- Rice Cakes – Simple snack safe for just about anytime.
- Natural Peanut Butter – Apply small amount to Rice Cakes for a quick and easy snack.
- Water with Electrolytes – Bringing some sports drink or other electrolyte infused water to your show is another great way to avoid disaster.
- Bananas – Having a couple bananas on hand is always a plus. Low on the glycemic index, high in potassium and easy to eat, makes them a smart choice
I hope this list can help you better understand how important and easy it is to be…Prepped for Perfection! Wish all of you the best!