OLYMPIA COVERAGE  |  ARNOLD COVERAGE  |      search-slim2

rxgirl

The Stage Makeup Series with Dr. Stacey Naito. Segment 4 Applying Foundation

When you prepare to apply foundation, make sure that your skin is well cleansed and moisturized.  Apply a primer to your entire face using clean fingers or a makeup sponge.  I use a primer made by Laura Mercier which is oil free and doesn’t break me out.  Once primer is applied, allow to set in for a couple of minutes.  You can apply foundation either with a foundation brush or with a sponge, but I prefer a sponge since I find that it enables me to deposit a thinner layer of foundation and is also easier for me to hold when I am anxious about my upcoming competition.  Make sure the foundation is applied evenly so it doesn’t look blotchy, and extend the foundation into your ears and along the underside of your chin and neck so that it blends in with your body color.  

Your foundation should be a shade or two lighter than your body color.  For most ladies, a very deep tan shade will work.  Many ladies use MAC StudioTech in NW45, but I do not like this foundation for three reasons.  First of all, NW45 can look muddy and too dark onstage for some ladies.  Secondly, MAC StudioTech is mineral oil based and tends to aggravate breakout-prone skin.  Thirdly, the formulation tends to dry out very quickly within the compact and can be a blotchy mess if this occurs (this happened to me at Emerald Cup in 2010, forcing me to get my makeup done professionally since I didn’t have a way to get a replacement foundation in time).  I vastly prefer a foundation which my dear friend and NPC national figure competitor Mystra Tillotson used on me at the USA in 2010: Bobbi Brown Stick Foundation in Warm Walnut.  The color is spot on and looks great onstage.  

If you have dark hair and are planning to part your hair, I recommend applying some foundation to the part line so that you don’t have a harsh white line on your head.

-Dr. Stacey Naito

Subscribe to RxMuscle on Youtube