Published on Monday, 07 May 2012 02:06
Written by Stacey Naito, D.O., AOBFP
So you competed in a national qualifier and got your qualification…fantastic! But now you may be wondering how to prepare for a national level show, what to pack, and generally what to expect at the national level. I can’t tell you how many times I have seen competitors who are newbies to the national circuit and have that deer in headlights look. They are completely stunned by the magnitude of a national show and intimidated by all the other nationally-qualified athletes who, for the most part, look amazing. Quite frequently these new competitors have no idea what to pack for a show outside of their local region and end up scurrying all over the place trying to procure the items they neglected to pack.
In light of this, here is a list of essential items to pack for a national level NPC/IFBB show, along with explanations. If you go to a national show fully prepared, you won’t have to deal with the stress of having forgotten something.
- Board shorts (at LEAST two pairs, in case something happens to your main pair)
- Dark towel (you don’t want to get tanning solution on the hotel towels because the hotel will charge you to replace them!)
- Dark t-shirts (these make great pillowcases at the hotel)
- Umbrella (you never know if it might rain)
- Close-toed shoes
- Driver’s license or other ID
- Cash for incidentals, cab fare
- Basic toiletry items (toothbrush and toothpaste, moisturizer, hair gel, deodorant, razor)
- A good skin scrub – sugar scrubs are much gentler on the skin than salt scrubs. Make sure the container is leak-proof and place in a Ziploc bag for extra security. If this is being packed in a carry-on bag, make sure the container is 3 ounces or less.
- Touch up foundation or bronzer for your face to match up with airbrush color on body
- Baggy pants with NO elastic at waistband
- Loose brushed cotton or flannel button-down long-sleeved shirt
- Socks (your tanned feet will stain the sheets!)
- Enough changes of casual clothes for the time that you will be at location
- Nice outfit in case you feel inclined to go out to celebrate after finals
- Diuretic (if your coach advises it)
- Food – make sure to pack extra food. You can freeze your food then pop it in the microwave as you need it.
- Safety pins
- Moist wipes – travel pack size
If you map out your packing strategy you should be able to remember to pack all the essentials.