OLYMPIA COVERAGE  |  ARNOLD COVERAGE  |      search-slim2

rxgirl

The Stage Makeup Series with Dr. Stacey Naito. Segment 2: False Lashes

Join Dr. Stacey Naito, National Bikini Champion, as she takes you through segment number two of the Stage Makeup Series.  Here Dr. Naito shows you how to apply false eyelashes for your best possible look on the stage.

Stage Makeup Series:  Applying False Eyelashes

It can be quite a challenge to apply false eyelashes but they are essential for a great look onstage.  I can tell you that there are several false eyelash application sessions I have been through in which I was reduced to tears of frustration!  The number one most important thing is to TAKE YOUR TIME!  If you get flustered easily, the worst thing you can do is rush this step because it will invariably have a negative outcome.  

I used to turn to MAC #44 lashes but have more recently leaned towards other brands which are much cheaper and just as lovely. You should experiment before the competition to see what lash style works on your particular eye shape and size.  Make sure to measure the lashes against your lash line and cut off any excess that extend into your inner eye corner (medial canthus) BEFORE the day of the contest, then place the lashes back into the case they came in so you don’t lose them.  Don’t forget to pack lash adhesive!  I use Duo brand in white and find it gives good adhesion.  

Other essential tools are a mirror at least five inches in diameter and a pair of small tip tweezers.  Ordinarily as a physician I would say to keep sharp tools away from your eyes, but the tweezer is very effective in ensuring contact between the false lash and your upper lid margin.  When you set up the mirror, it will lie flat on the counter and you will look down into it while you apply the lashes.  This is very important!  If you use a mirror on the wall, you are more likely to get the angle wrong so that the lashes point down instead of fanning up nicely like lashes are supposed to do.  

When you are set up with your mirror, apply an even bead of glue on the lash margins and allow to set for a couple of minutes so that the glue gets tacky.  Looking down into the mirror, you will line up the outer edge of the lash to your outer eye margin, then move inwards as you position the rest of the lash onto your lid.  I usually have more of a problem with getting the inner eye area to adhere so I concentrate the use of the tweezers there, but I will also use the tweezers on the outer lid margin to get good contact as the lash adhesive continues to set.  I advise holding the lash in place for a couple of minutes.  

Don’t worry about the white glue marks, as these will be covered in the next segment when we apply eyeliner.  

Subscribe to RxMuscle on Youtube